Monastery Kraainem, Brussels

 

In Kraainem (Crainhem in French), at the eastside of Brussels, you can find the Monastere de la visitation, a monastery for the nuns of the order of St. Benedict. It is built by Dom Bellot from 1928 til 1930. It is one of the few complexes wich have been built in one period at a time.

The abbeys at Quarr and Oosterhout for example have been built in three different periods. The monastery has a big garden at the rearside of the complex. The monastery is very low, only two floors in height.

 

 

 

 

main entrance

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The part where the public can sit during services is at the right side of the church. The church has the shape of an L. A small door is the entrance of the chapel. The other parts of the monastery are not open to the public.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The part of the capel where the nuns sit, is closed for the public by a very beautiful arch, made of brick.

 

The chapel has a ceiling made of concrete. Without arches to support, this ceiling rests on the outside wall, on pilars wich "grow out of the wall". It was necessary to construct support on the outside of the wall, something  Bellot not often designs for his churches.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo's: A.W.A. Lukassen and A.A. Lukassen, juli 2012