Abbey Affligem

 

Abbey Affligem has a huge history. Monks live and worship since 1062 at Affligem. The abbey was destroyed and rebuild several times. The last time in 1870. A neo-gothic abbey was build at the remains of the ancient abbey. Only the most western parts are medieval.

 

In 1924 Dom Bellot was asked to make plans for a extension of the abbey. He designed a monastery wich included the existing neo-gothical chapel. It was too expensive and many monks were surprised by the rich colors he proposed. Only the refectory (dining-room) is inplemented in the existing neogothical building. The windows were made in the wall and the arches support a new floor with bedrooms for the monks. The designe is signed by architect Stassin, but it shows Bellot is responsible for most of the idea. Also a design was made for the abbey cemetary in 1929. This was created according plans.

The Dutch architect Kropholler would ultimately extend the abbey in a sober style in 1932-1934.

 

 

design front north Affligem, dom Bellot

 

design plan, the refectory is

at the right of the centre

design for the abbey cemetary,

may 1929

 

 

 

 

 

The only thing is in the style of Bellot in this abbey was built the refectory (dining room). The walls of the refectory are painted white, probably to make the contrast with the formal language of Kropholler less significant. The arches carry a floor, where cells for the monks have been made. The arches are open. The pulpit is still there and is still used. The chandeliers are original, although they were years in the attic area. The windows are broken into the neo-Gothic exterior. They are similar to the windows placed in Wisques abbey. Originally equipped with yellow glass, now filled with clear glass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos: a.w.a. lukassen and a.a. lukassen, august 2011

plans: archive abdij affligem